Diary Of A Busker Day 464

Diary Of A Busker Day 464 Friday October 18th 2013 Winchester (Opposite Bellis, Time: 12:45-2:15pm).

A ‘farewell’ session, before the cruise ship gig with two scousers* and a West Midlands copper**. In fact, I have to leave tonight for Coventry, as the flight from Birmingham to Italy is at a ridiculously early time in the morning, which seems to be the ‘norm’ for these sort of things.

I see Delia – it’s Friday, after all –  and tell her about my imminent departure and trip, which I know she’ll be interested in, being from Italy and all that. She says she last went there in 1983, when her father was dying. Her brother died 12 years later, apparently, but she doesn’t say if she went back for that…or if he even died/was buried over there! She says ‘kiss the ground for me…and watch your pocket’. We say goodbye and I spend the next half-hour watching two girls on the bench opposite. One’s quite pretty, one’s not. The one who’s not paints the pretty one’s fingernails blue.

After the 1st Gnossienne, a woman comes up to ask the name. She says she saw some film of a tightrope walker (a tightropeist?) walking between the World Trade Centre buildings, and they had that playing. So I start talking about Satie and, naturally, mention my feeling of a certain kinship, seeing as we share the same birthday, 96 years apart, of course. She then says she shares the same birthday as her son’s wife, so there you are.

Earnings: £21.36p

* Chris and Dave

** Gaz

7 comments for “Diary Of A Busker Day 464

1. alex
    28/05/2015 at 9:40 PM

She mist be referring to a sort of documentary film about a man who, yes, walked a tightrope between tjhe world trade center towers. I saw it for sale not long ago and now I wish I’d bought it, hearing now it has such good music. Here in the so called silicon valley, access to things like the internet, Netflix, and so on are great if you are wealthy, but for types like me, it’s actually worse than having a computer running Windows 3.11 with slow dial up. But I can find interesting DVDs for a few bucks if I keep my eyes open, so it’s DVDs of things everyone else has seen years ago, the radio, and this crappy tablet which is on a par with DOS.

• 29/05/2015 at 7:29 AM

Yes, I vaguely recall seeing a clip of the video, years ago. Quite a famous film, apparently. What is DOS?!

2. 29/05/2015 at 7:28 AM
  3. alex
    29/05/2015 at 8:11 PM

DOS stood for Disk Operating System, and means Microsoft’s operating system that used what’s called a command line instead of a mouse. However, originally !any microcomputer manufacturers called their rudimentary operating systems DOS.

This is a major thing in the history of microcomputers, or as they came to be called, personal computers. I’m pretty old at the age of 52, and remember these things personally. I must assume you are much younger than I am, and that for you, windows or Apple’s mouse based operating systems are assumed to have been in place always.

4. alex
    30/05/2015 at 7:32 PM

In actuality, the windows and mouse user interface was quite revolutionary, and was in fact invented at a place called xerox PARC, where some of the smartest computer boffins in the world were gathered to invent things like that.

System admins and such types still use the old command line e interface though, even these days.

• 31/05/2015 at 6:01 AM

In reply to your other message, I believe I’m just a bit older than you…

5. alex
    31/05/2015 at 8:08 AM

I dunno, you’re lucky if you’ve managed to avoid learning about computer interfaces, really. Its all such a low paid crock of shit, I’d have been much better off if I’d refused to study anything but music. You’re making what’s a living wage for most of us in the states by knowing much more about music than I do, and I wish I had no idea what an op amp or boolean logic were.

I’m considering taking a weekly lesson from a local trumpet hotshot for 50 bux a week, or what 3 lbs fifty pee? Money better spent than in any programming class I reckon.